Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Bread Week Day 3: Povitica

This is what it should like. I hope mine is as pretty!
This is the larger pan that I baked 

Povitica... Say that three times fast! I had never heard of Povitica until I met my husband. One of his awesome aunts from Kansas City would send him a frozen one in the mail and we would feast for days around Christmas. It was like cinnamon toast bread, but not. I liked mine with butter toasted and he just devoured it as soon as it would thaw. I thought since it was Bread Week I would honor my husband's Croatian/Italian heritage and give it a go.


I looked the recipe up and found one that looked easy enough on Cooks.com. It had the fewest number of ingredients and instructions. When I looked closer I realized that there was a bit of cooking knowledge that was needed without a lot of explanation.

  • 6 c. sifted flour
  • 1/2 lb. butter
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 pkgs. dry yeast, softened in 1/2 c. lukewarm water
  • 2 c. scalded milk, cooled to lukewarm
Work butter into flour. Make well in flour, adding rest of ingredients, yeast last. Add more flour if necessary and knead. Let rise until double. Prepare filling.
FILLING:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 c. milk
  • 2 lbs. ground walnuts
  • 3 c. sugar
  • 3 egg whites, beaten stiff
  • 1 tsp. salt
Heat butter over low heat, then add the milk. Heat together then add sugar, stirring constantly. Add walnuts and mix well. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Remove from heat. Roll dough as thinly as possible, then stretch with hand to make thinner. Spread filling over stretched dough. Roll dough into round shape. Place in well greased pan and let rise until double. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or until crust is golden brown. Makes one very large or two medium size Poticas. Thanks Cooks.com!

For example, how to scald milk. I know how to make the milk run over out of the pan when you are not watching it closely and one of your sons is trying to poke the other son's eye out. I had not purposely scalded milk before and set off to find out the difference between what I normally do and what they were expecting. Well here is the 411. You bring the milk as close to a boil as possible and stir constantly so that you don't get that bubble over that I had mastered. Then you take it off the heat and let it rest, if that is what your recipe is calling for. I needed to scald the milk and then let it become lukewarm before adding it to the well of other ingredients in my flour. I brought the milk up to approximately 185 deg. F and then let it sit until it was about 100 deg. F.

The other unexpected turn the recipe took was all of the dough rising necessary. I had to let it double and then put the picture on and let it double again in the pans. I decided to go for making a larger loaf and a medium loaf.
 Which left me to staying up late and watching Glee while I waited for the Povitica to bake.

I will post pictures tomorrow and I hope all the boys will not gobble it down before I can get to the camera.

Here are the pictures and the food critic wrote that it was tasty but not as greasy as he has had in the past. I guess that is a good thing???

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hi there, that sounds like a really nice bread, so I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing. I recently found your blog and am now following. Please pop on over to my blog for a visit and perhaps you would like to follow me also. I would really like that. Hugs, Chris

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails