Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bread Week: Day 1 and 2 and a Confession

Sorry for the delay. I have been meaning to post about my first escapade into making bagels and I got distracted by life. I love sesame bagels! I have eaten other types but I always come back to sesame. I love them toasted with butter, but cream cheese will do if it honey almond. I started using a recipe from the Food Network by Emril, but when it got to the cornmeal instruction I quickly realized that something was screwy. They told me to grease a pan then apply cornmeal to another pan and then place bagels on the greased pan and bake. I was confused and thought, "what happened to all that cornmeal?", it turns out there was a huge typo. I searched for  a similar recipe and found one that didn't include the cornmeal step and carried on from there. Thank goodness for the other recipe! The bagels turned out to taste great but I forgot to adjust for baking in high altitude. I now know that I need to supplement the recipe with more flour to get the bagels to rise. No one complained about the semi-flat bagels. So much so that I didn't even get a chance to take a picture because they were devoured for breakfast.

Day 2: Cinnamon rolls

In honor of National Cinnamon Roll Day I am making an altered version of cinnamon rolls that is more like monkey bread but it still has that gooey cinnamon filling in between the dough. I have to wait for the dough to rise but I will report back with news and pictures.

On another note I have to confess that I bought yarn today. I want to make these gloves and I needed a DK weight yarn. I normally buy sock or worsted weight yarn and I gave into  temptation.
I spent about $20. I am still under the specified amount for the year!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails