Wednesday, September 8, 2010

International Literacy Day


celebrated in 1966. Its aim is to highlight the importance of literacy to individuals, communities and societies. On International Literacy Day each year, UNESCO reminds the international community of the status of literacy and adult learning globally. Celebrations take place around the world.
September 8 was proclaimed International Literacy Day by UNESCO on November 17, 1965. It was first 

Some 774 million adults lack minimum literacy skills; one in five adults is still not literate and two-thirds of them are women; 72.1 million children are out-of-school and many more attend irregularly or drop out.

I remember learning to read as a young child  and then later getting my first library card to the Wynnefield Branch Library in Philadelphia. My teacher would walk us over the library every few days to get books and take books out. It opened a whole new world for me that I sometimes got lost in, especially when reality wasn't looking so great. I learned to take refuge in books and value all of the lessons that they taught me. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails