Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I gotta Love Jones

I remember Love Jones vividly. I was in my freshman year of college and thought, "this is it" I am out here to figure out what I am going to do with the rest of my life. I am going to get the education and maybe fall in love on the way. I wanted the Love Jones romance and relationship. I envisioned that I would sit and read my poetry and make art while sitting at the side of a wonderful man who was going to understand me the only way that another YGB could. Okay, so 13 years later and a whole lot of heartache and ups and down I realize that Love Jones was a movie that epitomized the time that I was living in and even though it never came to be my reality, it led me on a path of being true to yourself and remembering art along the way. Thank you Harlem Renaissance and just a FYI I did marry a poet in the end.


Thirteen Years Later and Still Got the Jones

There hasn’t been a great film about black romance since Love Jones.

  •  | Posted: February 14, 2010 at 10:12 AM


Forget that it was released 13 years ago. Forget the striking cinematography, the star cast and the bomb-ass soundtrack. Forget that this was an artsy film that was accessible. Forget memorable scenes like when Darius tells Nina, “I just want to come up and talk.” Even if you forget all that, you still have to admit that no film in recent memory has come close to showcasing the struggles of black love--a film that’s unsentimental and breathtaking all the same.
So much is right with this movie. The chemistry of Nia Long and Lorentz Tate is remarkable. So much that we watch this film and begrudge the fact that this film represented the zenith of her career (and Larenz Tate’s for that matter). We even forgive the fact that Larenz Tate needs a haircut in this film. The characters hang out in smoky spots where men and women dress up and wear nice clothes. Not one gun in the entire film.

Read the rest of the article at The Root.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails